St. Patrick's Day - Children's Parade
The children's parade on St. Patrick's Day was a fantastic success. Details of the floats are below.
Float Running Order
1. Led out by drummer Joe Wolfe, local resident of Oldcourt and hailing from the band Fourpenny Rock
2. Martina Gantley’s Woodstock Playschool and the Old Woman and the Shoe
3. Suzanne’s Clever Cats Playschool, with the children “graduating”
4. Nore Valley Athletics Club, founded in January of this year
5. First of the School’s Floats: Children from Ms Sheehan’s classroom in “Moore Street Mayhem” - The Molly and Mikey Malones of Inistioge! Theme around the Moore St market , with children dressed in scarves and caps of old. Children pushing prams/trolleys mini-wheelbarrows full of market ware,Central Float with fruit and veg
6. Irish Dancers from Inistioge
7. Second of the School’s Floats: Children from Ms Beck’s classroom in “Farming Fanatics” – the Inistioge Farmers Association must be celebrating John Bryan’s success! Theme around farming, with children dressed – well – as farmers! Check shirts, wellies, hats with straw sticking out etc. Children on Tractors and trailers
8. Rower-Inistioge GAA Club camogie and hurling; players all out in the red and green and showing their skills by playing a quick game as they parade by!
9. Children from Ms Aylward’s classroom – a selection of heroes, villains and stars and accompanied by the three little pigs
10. Another of the school’s floats Children from Mr Brennan’s Classroom in “St Patrick and Snakes on a Plane!” Theme around St Patrick banishing the snakes from Ireland – except they leave, as though going on holidays on a plane!
11. Children from Ms Foley’s classroom in “Inistioge’s Got Talent” Theme around X-factor talent show. Central float is the judges’ panel.
12. A wonderful dragon carried by Avril’s Army (children organised by Lenehan’s Pub)
13. 4th Kilkenny Inistioge Scouts gave all a great surprise at the end of the parade
A collection was made on the day in support of the Teresa Beck-Testa Appeal
• To all the wonderful children who have put on such a great display and the clubs groups and school who organised the floats
• To the three lnistioge pubs who kindly sponsored the event - Woodstock Arms, Lenehan’s and O’Donnell’s and to Circle of Friends, Barron’s shop who also provided sponsorship
• To Footlights by the River for feeding the children!
• To the judges : Fr McEvoy, PP, Una Kavanagh (School Secretary), Jane Cullen (Kilkenny U16 Camogie player of the year) and Alice Beck (Headmistress of Inistioge NS) who presented a plaque to each float
• To the parade committee
• To the local Gardai and parents who stewarded on the day
Finally and most importantly to Shem O’ Neill, Oldcourt (and his family) who had the idea in the first place, who tirelessly made such brilliant floats and without whom the first St Patricks Day Parade in Inistioge wouldn’t have happened.